Cotechino & Lentils
- 1 piece/ 1 box Fortuna's Cotechino Sausage, Imported from Italy
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 3 tbs finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, fine chopped
- 2 garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled
- 1 1/2 cups small lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf / sprig of rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using Fortuna's, Imported from Italy pre-cooked Cotechino, place in a large pot. Cover with 3 quarts of water and bring to a gently boil for approx 45 min.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and carrot, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add lentils, sprig of rosemary & bay leaf; stir to combine.
- Add water to cover the lentils by 1 inch. Bring to a gentle slow simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, and adding more liquid from cotechino, as necessary to keep lentils covered until tender (45-60 minutes or until tender).
- Remove cotechino and left rest for 5-10 minutes, then slice as in photo.
- Disgard the herbs and garlic and spoon lentils onto platter and top with cotechino.